Best Credit Cards for Golfers
Do you fancy an afternoon golfing with your friends and business associates in one of the luscious green gold course in Singapore? How about sneaking in some golf time when you are overseas for work? Below, we feature some credit cards that provide various perks for golfers like free green fees and complimentary golf insurance.
Best Air Miles Card for Golfers: Maybank World MasterCard Credit Card
If you are looking to play at golf courses that are a little further away, Maybank World MasterCard Credit Card offers a Regional Golf Program for its members. Other than playing at clubs in Southeast Asia, you get to go to those located in Australia, China, Spain, Turkey, South Africa, United States and the United Kingdom.
What's more, cardmembers actually get complimentary green fees with a minimum spend of S$1,000 in the previous calendar month and your guests enjoy a 10% saving on walk-in rates as well. You are limited to 2 flights per month, which we thought is pretty fair. Locally, you get to bring a guest for free at any of these 4 clubs: Sembawang Country Club, Raffles Country Club, Orchid Country Club and Keppel Club.
- Annual fee: S$240, 1 year waiver
- 2 complimentary green fees per month at 79 world-class fairways in 15 countries
- 10X TREATS points (or 4 miles) per S$1 spent at select retail and dining establishments
- 19.1% savings on petrol in Singapore (including the 4 miles per S$1 spent on petrol)
- Up to 20% savings at select SPG Hotel and Resorts restaurants
- Complimentary VIP Access to JetQuay at Changi Airport
- Bonus: Receive a complimentary Samsonite Orfeo 69cm Spinner worth S$420 when you apply for 2 Maybank Credit Cards and CreditAble
- Read Our Full Review
Best Air Miles Card for Overseas Spending & Business Travelers: Standard Chartered Visa Infinite Card
For Standard Chartered Visa Infinite card, we need to first mention that it comes with a hefty annual fee of $588.50, but it's privileges are quite jaw-dropping too! Not only do you get the golf privileges sponsored by Visa (same as the HSBC card), what's interesting is the card's focus on giving the cardmember a privileged access to life's elite indulgences.
Upon sign-up, you receive 35,000 miles or 25,000 miles with S$100 Uber credits straight up. For travels, you get to enjoy 6 annual complimentary visits to over 850 airport lounges and what's great is that you can also bring in a guest with you via the priority lounge pass programme. For the truly indulgent, you can even book a private jet with personal cabin crew with a 10% off standard live hourly rates.
Other luxurious privileges include savings off spa treatments at the Fullerton Spa, best-guaranteed rate when you stay in any of the hotels under the Visa Luxury Hotel Collection and even privilege rates when you book a yacht. Are you ready for the luxurious lifestyle yet? Make use of these above cards to up your golf games with free green fees and global club access!
- Annual fee: S$588.6 and no waiver
- 1.4 miles and 3 miles for every S$1 spent locally and overseas, respectively.
- Hilton HHonor Gold status, complimentary VIP lounge access & travel insurance, discounts for golf clubs, yachts and private jets
- 20% cashback and more on Grab rides in Singapore and abroad (monthly min. spend of $900, up to $50 per customer)
- Promotion: Welcome bonus of 35,000 miles (or 15,000 miles and a Samsonite 28" luggage)
- Bonus: 1-for-1 Dining offers at participating restaurants with The Good Life
- Read Our Full Review
CIMB World MasterCard Credit Card: No-Fee Credit Card for Golfers
CIMB World MasterCard Credit Card is a great no-fee credit card for avid golfers. CIMB World MasterCard offers 1% cashback on all local and overseas spend. On top of this, they also provide complimentary green fees at 40 golf courses around SE Asia. Best of all, you can enjoy all of these benefits without paying a dollar of annual fee.
- No annual fee
- Complimentary travel insurance
- 1% foreign exchange transaction fee
- Unlimited 1% rebate in Singapore and overseas
- Complimentary green fees at 40 golf clubs in SE Asia
- Read Our Full Review
How Much Does It Cost To Play Golf?
Golf club memberships used to be seen as a type of investment but these days, it has become more of a lifestyle purchase. Membership at open market prices are definitely not cheap, typically starting in the 6-figure range. For example, a club membership at the more exclusive Sentosa Golf Course costs around $245,000 and one at the Tanah Merah Country Club costs around $175,000. The good news? You don't really need a membership to play if you go to a public golf course, but be prepared that it will be pretty crowded.
If you are new to golf or wants to pick up golfing, you will no doubt need lessons as the sport is not something you can learn on your own. Coaching sessions typically cost between $100 to $300 per session and it is more economical to learn with a friend or two. This fee does not include the rental for your golf clubs, green fees and buggy rides. Green fees depend on the club, but to give you an indicative price, an 18-hole game for the weekend at Keppel Club costs $320 net with buggy rental included.